Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Africa: Brunel Poetry Prize name shortlists candidates tomorrow
she initiated the Arts Council Free Verse report (2006) and The Complete Works (ongoing from 2008, led by Dr. Nathalie Teitler) mentoring scheme to address the (under 1%) representation of poets of colour in British poetry presses and to develop poets ...
- Scholastic Art and Writing awards 2015
Monday was the big day for students in our region! At noon, they were let out of class to go with their teachers to log on to the national web site and see if their entry won nationally. The expressions are priceless. And the honors many!
- The King of Spoken Word Poetry Returns with New Music!!!
NEW YORK - July 23, 2017 - PRLog-- Poetically, Harmon's music has evolved since he debuted in 2000, at the age of 14 with his MySpace cover release to Erykah Badu's ''On & On'' instrumental. He cites the song was his first demo he record on his karaoke ...
- How to enjoy poetry
But taking a different approach to poetry, appreciating the words on the page instead of worrying about what the deep and meaningful message is, can help people fall in love with this art form that was dreaded in school.
- Deepak Chopraâ€™s Simple Happiness Habit You Can Steal Right Now
These poems about love and loss are sure to stir up emotions. As writers, we find it rewarding to express ourselves freely and without hesitation. But when we write prose, weâ€™re constrained by the rules of grammar, which inhibit expression and speech.
- I Feel Like I Live in Somebody Elseâ€™s Body
Iâ€™ve given this admonition to other friends. But I canâ€™t shake my feelings of failure ... and being serious about my poems and my essay on the poet Charlotte Mew. Mew didnâ€™t have children. I became obsessed with her life, its triumphs and sadness.
- Jesus went to hell: The Christian history churches would rather not acknowledge
Prior to his resurrection, Christ descended to the underworld -- a paradox most churches prefer not to confront
- Students read 'Kipling and Keats' to 'rekindle youthful memories' of dementia residents
Thatâ€™s when the scheme started.â€ Students found that the care home residents liked a lot of classic and romantic poetry. Poets like Wordsworth, Kipling and Keats were frequently requested according to former English student, Cameron Milne. He said ...
- Thucydidesâ€™ Corruption/ And Technological Disruption
Itâ€™s ages since thereâ€™s been an episode of Poetry Corner here â€“ mainly because ... Thucydides is, as ever, the dark prophet who anticipated our fate, not least in his terrifying account of civil war and social breakdown in Corcyra.
- Nonagenarian pens love poems to wife across 62 years
A 94-year-old academic has warmed the cockles of Chinese netizensâ€™ hearts this Valentineâ€™s Day with poems to his wife, expressing deep, enduring love for his partner of over six decades. Feng Duan, a physicist at Nanjing University, has been writing ...
- Ontario Chronicle, 1970, poem by M.J. Iuppa (ME, AT 17 Poetry and Prose Series)
AUTHORâ€™S PHOTO CAPTION: The morning leaving for college, 17 years old (September 1970). SOURCE: First published in The Poetry Storehouse (April 2014). ABOUT THE AUTHOR: M.J. Iuppa lives on a small farm near the shores of Lake Ontario. She is Director ...
- Plum > apricot and wine > brew: the language of poetry and painting
My wife was born in Shandong in 1936, but fled from the Japanese with her family to Sichuan before she was one year old, and she spent the next eleven years of her life in Sichuan, before fleeing once again with her family, this time from the Chinese ...
- 13 Real-Life Ghost Encounters That Will Have You Terrified Of Falling Asleep Tonight
This â€” is for you. â€œWhen Janne has a new poem written, I shut my life down to do nothing but read it, and then when I turn my life back on, everything is better.â€ â€” James Altucher
- Katy Waldmanâ€™s 10 Favorite Books of 2017
Seven years later, that decidedly not-bad work of historical fiction has arrived in bookstores, a monument to old-fashioned storytelling virtues: appealingly complex characters, a cracking plot, ace writing that ranges from hardboiled to funny to dreamy.
- Regrets of Seventeen, poem by John Carney (ME, AT 17 Poetry and Prose Series)
AUTHORâ€™S PHOTO CAPTION: Mel and me getting decorations ready for her birthday party. NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: Seventeen was such a tough age. Part of me saw clear sailing on all the opportunities ahead, but mostly, fear had me by the short hairs at the ...