Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Childrenâ€™s Book Club: â€œFrederickâ€
A friend gave me a collection of Leo Lionniâ€™s stories for my children. We read them and liked them, but we werenâ€™t over the moon about them. Then in the spring of 2015, when I was rewriting the manuscript for what would become The Joy of Poetry ...
- â€˜Letters of Sylvia Plathâ€™ peek into poetâ€™s youth
Here, we meet her as a child making up poetry (an early effort involves â€œkitties and mousiesâ€), as â€œSivvyâ€ the happy Smith College student who writes affectionate and often whimsically illustrated letters home to her friends and family â€” and ...
- Poet Catherine Pierce shares her work with aspiring writers
On March 23, the English department held a night of Poetry-in-the-Round where poet Catherine Pierce came to share some of her poems. Pierce, a professor at Mississippi State, has written three collections of poems to date. In these collections, Pierce ...
- Robert Pinsky mix poetry with music by Laurence Hobgood
â€œThe idea is that poetry has melodies, rhythms, harmonies that can be in pleasing conversation with the same qualities in music,â€ he said. The performance promises an atmosphere that doesnâ€™t adhere to the dark coffee house, bongo-playing beatnik clich
- An Outsider Poet Who Courted Contradictions
Knott began his career to acclaim and controversy with â€œThe Naomi Poems: Corpse and Beans,â€ a 1968 collection he published under the pseudonym Saint Geraud. An ersatz authorâ€™s note described the poet as â€œa virgin and a suicideâ€ who had lived from ...
- Standouts include 12th Annual Horse and Hound Wine Festival, Overnight Sensations 2017
Free admission. 375-3004 ... Wear your white gloves and your favorite hat for a chance to win the hat contest. There will be music, door prizes and a poetry reading with nationally renowned author and distinguished professor at Virginia Tech Nikki Giovanni.
- Tacoma student seeks state title in Poetry Out Loud contest
â€œI just want to help people.â€ Washington state final competition in the Poetry Out Loud contest takes place at 1 p.m. March 4 at Broadway Centerâ€™s Theatre on the Square, 915 Broadway, Tacoma. The event is free and open to the public.
- CJ-Online Review: The Museum of Augustus: The Temple of Apollo in Pompeii, the Portico of Philippus in Rome, and Latin Poetry
The Museum of Augustus: The Temple of Apollo in Pompeii, the Portico of Philippus in Rome, and Latin Poetry. By Peter Heslin ... on the reception of the Forum Augustum in the West, including Pompeii; that book came out too late for Heslin to take account ...
- Hybrid tapestries: Why Pakistani writing in English is thriving
English may have been introduced to South Asia by British imperialism but those writing in it wanted to challenge the narratives of the Empire. Pre-Partition writers of fiction and poetry in English were, thus, faced with the formidable task of â€œfinding ...
- Seven poems for anyone who needs a fall quarter boost
Because Iâ€™m somebody who gets a lot of comfort from words, I turned to some of the books of short poetry Iâ€™d brought with me to school. Flipping through the pages of my sticky note-filled books, I felt an incredible sense of home in the words I read.
- 10 Best Romantic Poems in History
It is a known fact that poems can serve as the ultimate expression of love. They have the ability to take romance to transcendent levels. Some of the best short love poems and romantic poetry were written in the late 18 th and early 19 th century.
- Coshocton Public Library to hold teen poetry slam â€“ Times Reporter
Coshocton Public Library to hold teen poetry slamTimes ReporterThe Coshocton Public Library, 655 Main St., will hold a teen poetry slam for students in grades 7-12 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. April 13. The slam will be held in celebration of National Poetry Month.
- National Endowment for the Arts: Seeking Applications for Translation Projects
The National Endowment for the Arts is Seeking Applications for its Translation Projects to support the specific work of prose, poetry, or drama from other languages into English. NEA encourages translations of writers and of work that are not well ...
- Joining the club: On the high hopes and broken dreams of millennials who want their writing published
Tim Grgec plucked up courage to submit his poetry to literary journals. But he didnâ€™t know anyone in New Zealand writing and no one had ever heard of him. So then what? I used to think of New Zealandâ€™s poetry scene as an exclusive club â€“ a club ...
- Three New Books of Poetry Reviewed at the Washington Post
For the Washington Post, Elizabeth Lund reviews thrice, looking at Inheriting the War: Poetry and Prose by Descendants of Vietnam Veterans and Refugees (W.W. Norton), edited by Laren McClung, with a forward by Yusef Komunyakaa; Poet in Spain (Knopf ...