Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- TRIO Joliet Central Talent Search celebrates successful semester
The event also featured student testimonials, an open-mic for student performances of poetry and music, and a student-led reading ... And when you meet these new friends, you meet your new family."
- Cowboy Poetry and Western Music Roundup: community celebrates of National Poetry Month
The event is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. with free admission. The library is also commemorating National Poetry Month with a poetry contest for kids and poetry display for adults all month long. Kids can win cash prizes for their poetry. Another popular library event ...
- This New York Tattoo Artist Is Inking a Love Poem Onto 30 Strangers for Valentineâ€™s Day
Some scribble love poems into notebooks or cards; Amanda Wachobâ€™s are designed to be worn on your sleeve. Or rather, just underneath. Today the Brooklyn-based tattoo artist is in the midst of a second afternoon of sold-out appointments inside the Whitney ...
- Frumpy Middle-aged Mom: Tips for surviving your family during the holidays
And, as long as weâ€™re quoting poetry (Iâ€™m sorry, Iâ€™m sorry, but I have to do this one more line) poet John Ciardi had these immortal words that might help you deal with family occasions, â€œVodka has no breath â€¦ As long as he can stand, a vodka ...
- "Poetry as Spiritual Practice" highlights the arts
today was the "poetry as spiritual practice" event hosted by sisters of providence of saint mary-of- the-woods. the event included a workshop -- complete with reading -- praying and writing poetry. using the arts -- organizers say it enhances the human and ...
- Concrete Poetry Dinner Raises Funds for Local Print Publisher, Exile Books
In its third year at the Standard Spa Miami Beachâ€™s summer residency, Exile Books is planning a five-course dinner that pairs signature dishes, expertly crafted cocktails, and live poetry performances. Concrete Poetry, as organizers have named it ...
- Anthology of local writers commemorates library districtâ€™s 75th anniversary
â€œFor people to become producers and not just consumers.â€ â€œSpokane Writes: A Poetry & Prose Anthologyâ€ is available to order at the Friends of the Spokane County Library District website: www.SCLDFriends.org/anthology.
- Alzheimer's caregiver discovers respite in art
Her first "on demand" poem was for two women who met as childhood friends only to fall in love years later. For a typewriter collector, Hayes wrote: "My typewriter says 40 years / is enough / If it comes by your place / give it a lube / give it some love."
- A poetry book about racism inspires a wave of Steinbeck Center events.
As if in reply to recent racial hostility, the National Endowment for the Arts made an addition to this yearâ€™s list of 28 books in their Big Read program: Claudia Rankineâ€™s dense, shifting, avant-garde poetry book, Citizen: An American Lyric.
- NJ Teen Accepted Into All 8 Ivies and Stanford
she recalled. â€œI think my love for poetry and writing just really stood out.â€ Sponsored Her proud parents, Andre and Patricia White-Thorpe, said they will leave the final decision up to the brilliant teen; granted, with the letters she has in front of ...
- PPAC transforming Ricci studentsâ€™ poem into performance
Her friends, she said, dubbed her â€œMom-na ... It was Martinezâ€™s idea to enter the contest, a competition she had stumbled on, as she writes poetry in her free time. The award-winning poem is as follows: â€œI treat others the way I want to be ...
- Perceived Composer, Author Intent Influences Experience of Music, Poetry
But while people want their music to be happy, they prefer their poetry to be sad. University of Arkansas music professor Elizabeth Margulis and William Levine, associate professor of psychology, collaborated on the study, published this month in PLOS ONE.
- Quoof and other family nonsense
The poem continues, but it was these first few lines that formed the basis of a group discussion. We were asked to share our own family words â€” invented words that wouldnâ€™t mean anything to an outsider. I suspect I didnâ€™t have a lot to offer ...
- Our Wedding Story: My aunt made a giant pop-up of us at the reception
They chose Lisnavagh House in Co Carlow for their wedding â€“ the first one in both families for ... Amyâ€™s uncle Aidan closed proceedings with a reading of Brendan Kennellyâ€™s poem, Begin. A huge team effort was made by family and friends, including ...
- Two Girls Ago - Poem by Lucie Brock-Broido
No slim luck for the only President I ever loved. No lukewarm bath in oatmeal. No lantern left for Natalie on the way home from school in her Alaskan dark. No eye. No Victorian slippers that walked the bogs to moor. No Donner bones with cuts on them or not.