Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Bringing poetry to life: Fruita couple bring play about Walt Whitman to Cavalcade
â€œMultitudes,â€ a one-man show about American poet Walt Whitman, will be presented by The Zephyr Stage at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, July 28â€“29, and at 2 p.m. Sunday, July 30, at Cavalcade, 201 E. Aspen Ave., in Fruita. Tickets cost $10. There are ...
- On Nudity and Catholicism: An Interview with Patricia Lockwood
With poetry, no matter how long you might have been working on a piece, the feeling is one of suddenness, quicksilver, lightning. Have you ever tried writing fiction? I once had a whack at a novel but the results were so so sad. So much incest, so many ...
- Parkway West student is finalist in national Poetry Out Loud contest
She's one of nine finalists in this year's Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest. Emily competes tonight in the finals and the chance to win $20,000. In the semifinals, she performedâ€œIt was not Death, for I stood up, (355)â€ by Emily Dickinson and ...
- Fabulario, a children's poem book in Spanish language
Children's poem book written in Spanish language. All poems have a moral for kids to reflect on. Children's poem book written in Spanish language. All poems have a moral for kids to reflect on. Read more
- Happy 40th Birthday to the Children's Book Shop!
Among the Children's Book Shop's community activities are an annual poetry contest, with more than 700 local students submitting original poems; collaborations with Lesley College and Simmons College symposia; Wondermore (a nonprofit supporting author ...
- Seventeen, poem by Sarah Krenicki (ME, AT 17 Poetry and Prose Series)
and in my head on the bus to school. I recited the lines so softly I couldnâ€™t hear myself. They gave me flowers afterwards. I kept them until they died and withered, and still, a few of the blooms were tucked away in a dresser drawer. Nestled against my ...
- Barbara Ingram student's poetry accepted for national contest
A poem by Kelsi Maddock of Carroll Heights Boulevard in Hagerstown has been accepted for publication in the National High School Poetry Contest. Her poem, â€œTelescope,â€ appeared recently in the Spring edition of the American High School Poets â€œOf Love ...
- Roche retiring, new director named to head Western Folklife Center
â€œThe importance of the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering on so many social and economic levels for Elko and the American West calls out for more and more broad support in order for this unique festival to continue as a beacon of humanist expressio
- Walt Whitman â€˜more important now than everâ€™
Virtually every American poet has at some point engaged Whitman directly, often in a poem, as Hart Crane did in â€œThe Bridgeâ€ or Allen Ginsberg in â€œA Supermarket in California.â€ Whitman always addressed his poems to readers in the future ...
- A Poem is a Human Artifact
To this day, Iâ€™m not sure what a poem is. Each time I write one it becomes the particular, the example. But the next one might not resemble the one before it or the one to come. Poetry, like so much else in life, can only be known by example.
- Defiant, Uplifting Poem At Manchester Vigil Shows City's Enduring Spirit
Walshâ€™s poem discusses the highs and lows of the city he so loves ... recessions, depressions, and dark times. But we keep fighting back with greater Manchester spirit. Northern grit, northern wit, and greater Manchesterâ€™s lyrics.
- Day to Day Politics: Murdoch, Bolt, Jones and others â€“ where the truth goes to die
Just a few years ago I was in the habit of attending a writers forum every Monday. The group was made up of ... At the time I was a creative writer of short stories and poetry. I have read poetry at the National gallery of Victoria, Montsalvat and St ...
- Clive James announces new poetry collection; John Podesta joins the â€œWashington Postâ€
Poet and critic Clive James will publish a sequel to his 2015 short-poem collection, Sentenced to Life. Written after a diagnosis of leukemia, his first book was a reflection on death. But James says that his upcoming book, Injury Time, will be much more ...
- Desperately Seeking Love Stories With a Temporal Twist
In real life, romantic failure is such a drag ... In the Heights One spring when I was on the staff of my high school literary magazine, we were flooded with poetry submissions from sophomores writing in the voice of either Heathcliff (â€œO Catherine!â€)
- Creating Company Names That Stick: A Page From The Poet's Playbook
As famed poet, T.S. Elliot once said, â€œGenuine poetry can communicate even before itâ€™s understood.â€ In brand naming thatâ€™s exactly what youâ€™re seeking to achieve â€” the ability to communicate the value of your brand as soon as your name is spoken.