Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Surgeon's Poem Dares to Link Smog, Lung Cancer in China
A poem by a thoracic surgeon that acknowledges the link between lung cancer and smog has hit a nerve with Chinese people and gone viral as thousands of readers view and share it online in China, where air pollution is rampant, according to multiple news ...
- On pursuing a profession of conceit
I write poetry because I really donâ€™t know any better. It is an affliction, I suppose, whose cure is worse than the disease. Having written the Hindi/Urdu form of poetry known as ghazals and haikus in Gujarati since the age of 13, it is fair to say that ...
- Poetry, storytelling with Dave Hassig at Goff-Nelson
TUPPER LAKE â€“ On April 12, Dave Hassig, Adirondack poet and story teller, comes to the Goff-Nelson Memorial Library to help celebrate spring by sharing some of his poems and stories ... This event is free and open to the public.
- â€˜The Poet of Weather Camsâ€™: How one manâ€™s obsession for capturing natureâ€™s drama on Puget Sound became a worldwide online hit
HANSVILLE, Kitsap County â€” Itâ€™s not something youâ€™d think of as visual poetry, but here they are, at the home of Greg Johnson. Weather webcams. He has four cameras in a wooden box nailed outside the second-story bedroom of his family home.
- Clean lines, Bowie tunes and bigger hearts: Pulitzer-winning poet shares hopes for the future
Whether sheâ€™s writing about what it was like for her parents growing up in the Jim Crow South or watching the launch of the Hubble telescope â€” which her own father helped build â€” Smith has gotten really good at using poems to build empathy.
- Brokered by the president himself, Tajikistan's wedding of the year takes place but the star of the show looks like she'd rather be anywhere else
The wedding of Marjona Hudoidodova, 22, and Saidsho Asrorov, 23, was a unique event, as the arranged marriage had been ordered by the country's all-powerful dictator Emomali Rahmon. Mr Asrorov, a passionate Rahmon supporter, had read a poem dictated to ...
- Concord Poetry Series to host poet Mary Buchinger
a quest to give voice to non-human objects and creatures and Thoreauâ€™s message of â€œliving as deliberately as Nature,â€ Buchinger will discuss her writing practices and the landscapes of her poems during a Q&A session. A book signing and reception will ...
- T.S. Eliotâ€™s Classic Poem â€œThe Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrockâ€ Gets Adapted into a Hip Modern Film
T.S. Eliotâ€™s modernist poem â€œThe Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrockâ€ gives us a psychological portrait of a neurotic character who eloquently perseverates on the nature of his existence and the weakness of his will. The poem is a dream, but not an ...
- Rare Book of the Month: A Man Driven by â€œAmazing Graceâ€
One of the most popular poets of his time, Cowperâ€™s writing demonstrates a straightforward, heartfelt celebration of nature and God. He is known as one of Englandâ€™s great early Romantic poets. Cowper suffered from poor mental health throughout his life.
- Summer expression in romantic form and color: Part II
When one thinks of Romantic seascapes, the works of Willem van de Velde the ... She was in many ways a very practical woman to love poetry and a poet,â€ (The Letters of Virginia Hankins and Sidney Lanier, Isle of Wight Historical Society).
- â€˜Banksy of poetryâ€™ strikes again with three mysterious poems sent to Norwich hairdresser
The poet, who goes by the name of Mark Jones, has sent the poems to GTâ€™s Male Hair Design in Prince of Wales Road in the city. Gary Thompson, of Turner Road has run the hairdressers for the past 17 years. He received the first poem on Thursday May 18 and ...
- Poetry and folklore | class #5, fall 2017
Successful folklore books must have a strong voice. Folktales and fairy tales come from an oral tradition in which the best storytellers have individual styles, just as singers have their own ways of delivering songs. Poetry, too, needs to be heard to ...
- You cannot un-see Thor 3's Jeff Goldblum sensuously rolling his eyes as he says: "I'm having a Ragnarok"
For example, Ruffalo is the lovable neighbor who just thinks everyone is so nice and funny and awww, what a nice guy ... who reads every answer as if it was pure poetry, often getting sidetracked to explain every little piece of the sentence.
- Watch Isaac Wimberley Deliver A Spoken Poetry That Will Move You To Tears
God is indescribable. He cannot be contained in the words we speak about Him but at the same time we use this very limited words to bring out praises and Glory to The most high. He is so great and vast and powerful that it will be impossible for our finite ...
- Patricia Smith â€“ VIDA Voices & Views
Her numerous accolades include the Rebekah Bobbitt Prize from the Library of Congress, the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize from the Academy of American Poets, and the Phillis Wheatley Award in Poetry. As well, she is recognized as one of the worldâ€™s most ...