Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Spoken-word Poet Afra Atiq: Placing the Individual at the Heart of Her Commentary
The child of a Japanese-American mother and an Emirati father ... but a form of literary expression that accounts for the two intrinsic features of Spoken Word: poetry, as performed before an audience. She notes the richness of the Arabic poetic heritage ...
- Gulzar pens new book Suspected Poems,weaves magic on cultures, political scenario
Ace poet-lyricist Gulzar has penned a book carrying collections of poems weaving words of magic on myriads of topics ranging from political climate in the country to intolerance; plight of common man to atrocities on Dalits to Indo-Pak relations.
- July 28: OutWest Concert Series Features Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter Joyce Woodson
She has performed at top folk and western clubs and festivals such as the Elko National Cowboy Poetry and Music Gathering, the Cochise Cowboy Gathering, and the Autry Museum. Joyceâ€™s lovely voice and striking stage presence have been compared with Mary ...
- Students embrace past lovers through poetry
The evening began with a powerful poem by Kayla Keller titled â€œTo the One That Got Away.â€ It talked about never finding someone to love you like your former lover. In between poetry readings, Mills called raffle tickets and let music play while the ...
- Bronxville H.S. Sophomores Earn Spots In Regional Poetry Out Loud
BRONXVILLE, N.Y. â€“ Two sophomores were recognized as top finishers in Bronxville High Schoolâ€™s Poetry Out Loud competition. Olivia Lewis, the contest winner, and Jack Kochansky, the runner-up, each earned a spot in the regional competition, which is ...
- The 10 coolest museum exhibits you didn't know you could see in Newark - NJ.com
NJ.comThe 10 coolest museum exhibits you didn't know you could see in NewarkNJ.comMODERN HEROICS: 75 YEARS OF AFRICAN-AMERICAN EXPRESSIONISM AT THE NEWARK MUSEUM, Running June 18, 2016 to January 8, 2017. This exhibition presents selected works from Newark's permanent collection of African-American art. Taking a fresh look at ...and more »
- Divinely Guided: Brooklyn-Based Artist Jessica Yatrofsky On Her Debut Poetry Collection, Pink Privacy
Itâ€™s poetry, but the poems come from a very personal, private space. Some of itâ€™s pretty harshâ€”just pure uninhibited expressionâ€”and it can be snarky and directed toward men. Thereâ€™s a lot of innuendos, and just a lot of very direct experiences.
- Is Poetry Making A Comeback?
Poverty and a small audience were the burden of the genre. So, my poet days were over. Which is ironic, because that decision in college did not actually make me reject poetry. In fact, in some ways, it made poetry more inviting, more deliciousâ€“the thing ...
- Unguarded Gates and Other Poems (Classic Reprint)
** Includes Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase*, you may return it to us in its ...
- Youthful Mat North poet pens anthology for President
Shawlen Mgandani, a freelance marketer for herbal products said he hopes to one day get an opportunity to recite some of the poems in front of the President. He hopes that the opportunity can be as soon as the Presidentâ€™s 93rd birthday celebration in ...
- A poem that â€˜purifiesâ€™ air by removing nitrogen oxide to be auctioned off in UK
The poem by award-winning writer Simon Armitage, Professor of Poetry at the University of Sheffieldâ€™s School of English, has been transformed into 12 limited edition artworks that are being auctioned to raise funds for the British Lung Foundation on May 9.
- 11 new poetry collections to make you feel all the feels
But veterans and their descendants remain scarred by its devastating aftermath. Inheriting the War: Poetry and Prose by Descendants of Vietnam Veterans and Refugees is a selection of work that confronts the war and its traumatic aftermath head on.
- This painting might be sexually disturbing. But thatâ€™s no reason to take it out of a museum.
The surrealists used poetry, literature and the visual arts to depict the outer reaches of erotic fantasy. The artistic and intellectual mapping of this frightening new territory had consequences, for good and ill, in the real world. Symbolism and ...
- The New Yorkerâ€™s Year in Poems
The New Yorker has compiled its favorite poems published in the magazine throughout 2016, and the list includes â€œWrapper Frag,â€ by Peter Gizzi; â€œLandscape With Loanword and Solstice,â€ by Lynn Melnick; and â€œPoem to My Litter,â€ by the late Max Ritvo.
- UWO student analyzes feelings of friendship and love in a 150-year-old poem
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh student Alyssa Herman, of Omro, is using poetic analysis to unlock the emotions of friendship and love preserved in a 1849 poem by Alfred Tennyson. A senior in the UW Oshkosh English department, Herman is working with a ...